Monday, October 11, 2010

Coming Soon Vol. 23

Coming Soon
Lyricson - “Messages” [PJK Entertainment]




First up this week is an album which I featured on a post titled ‘Stuff I’m Looking Forward To In 2009’, very late last year, so I’ve been waiting for it for more than a year at this point. The outstanding Guinea born singing chanter, Lyricson, returns with his third album (second if you ask him), the hotly anticipated ”Messages” for what I believe is his own company, PJK Entertainment. I’ll be blunt here - There’re two albums (that I know of) remaining to be released this year which I feel are potentially Album of The Year material (the other? Ask Etana). So why am I SO high on this one? Besides the fact that his first two albums, 2004’s ”Born 2 Go High” and ”Keep The Faith” from 2007 (even though he basically disowned it), showed such a wonderful level of progression from an already high level, there’s also the matter of the two tunes that I’ve actually already heard from the album. The first is the big big ‘Glad You’re Mine’ from the equally sizable Sugar Riddim and the HUGE first single, ‘From The Beginning’ (which drops digitally on October 25) and they are both excellent (also heard a bit of a next tune, ‘Life Is Not A Game’ and it’s also impressive). There’s also, apparently, a link with Jamaican artist Zamunda and just high quality vibes through the album’s sixteen tracks - All of which I cannot wait to get my paws on.

Potential Rating: 5/5
Releases on November 8
CD + Digital

The Split Personality Riddim [Seanizzle Records]



Next in is a riddim which I’m just going to describe as being incredibly COOL, Seanizzle’s latest offering, the Split Personality Riddim. The producer has been flaming this year on the strength of the very well regarded One Day Riddim, however, to my ears, the Split Personality is CLEARLY a ‘better’ vibe than that piece. Unsurprisingly, this very colourful piece has also been enjoying a nice popularity as well and it is well deserved. On board here are the likes of I-Octane (more on him later) alongside Zamunda, Mavado, a very impressive Lukie D, Serani and of course, Future Fambo and Beenie are back again. This riddim proves that you can do all the techno and crazy shit that you want and still do so within the context of making Dancehall music. It is gorgeous and definitely give it a listen and take it for a spin.

Potential Rating: 4.25/5
Releases Tomorrow
Digital

The Ifficial Riddim [Itation Records/Zojak Worldwide]



At this point, following stellar releases such as the Higher Meditation, World Go Round and the OUTSTANDING Show Love Riddim, you can pretty much put Itation Records in there with the likes of Lustre Kings Productions, Zion High Productions and others as some of my favourite producers from out of the States and judging by the early spins of their newest release, the Ifficial Riddim, apparently they’re not very interested in shedding that label just yet because, at least thus far (still working on it, of course) it’s pretty strong. Although it tops out at just nine vocal tracks, mixed in those nine tunes are efforts from the likes of Pressure Busspipe, Teflon, Bescenta, Anthony B, Kali Blaxx and others (including an ANGRY Monsoon with the scathing tune ‘Jah’). The riddim is also built by the same Tune In Crew, from out of France, who (I THINK) did the World Go Round Riddim and have also done really well in building their name and reputation as well - Making this one a potentially BIG release.

Potential Rating: 4.35/5
Releases Tomorrow [But apparently you can buy it on Amazon right now]
Digital

The Eternal Riddim [Goldcup Records]



Speaking of new favourites - Everyone hopefully remembers the BIG Mirror Riddim, which actually dropped last year apparently, from Italian label , Goldcup Records. So maybe that name will catch your attentions in regards to their ‘new’ release, like it did mine, the Eternal Riddim. I actually also remembered this riddim from quite awhile back (and further research does reveal that it is from 2009), but it is now coming through officially. What also caught my eyes here was the fact that Achis Reggae favourite Jah Nyne has a tune on the riddim (which I actually knew already), as does ‘Meshach’ who I was hoping was the St. Lucian singer but isn’t (but is still impressive). Also on board are the likes of Ras Ijah, Judgment (who needs a new name) and the always welcomed Junior Culture. Would’ve definitely like to see Goldcup build this one a bit more, but as it’s already been on the shelf a year or so, I suppose we take what we can get.

Potential Rating: 3.5/5
Releases on October 22
Digital

The Sweeper Riddim Selection [Ces Beatz Productions/Newstyle Records]

Okay so, I’ve been looking at this one for probably more than a month at this point and although I’m by no means blown away by it, my eyes just get captivated when you throw in such a varied roster such as to be found on the Sweeper Riddim from Ces Beatz, from out of Trinidad. Merely looking at the artists on the riddim, you would assume a big German connection (and I’m still going to do that) - Bobo Niyah FROM TOBAGO (simply mentioning his name almost certainly assures that Angry Bobo Niyah Fan shall now return) (You’re okay with me Angry Bobo Niyah Fan) alongside Kashu Man, Yah Meek and Marlon B, all of whom have pretty large German followings to my knowledge - And there’re also people like Spectacular, a German female duo who I’ve NEVER heard of by the name of Anthemoissa, most ridiculously PREDATOR and others. Yes - there is Reggae in German here. You come in with a lineup like that and you have me interested on paper. Whether or not you can keep me interested sonically is another story, but maybe I’ll give them a shot.

Potential Rating: 3/5
Releases Tomorrow
Digital

"The UK Flue" [LockDown Productions]

I don’t particularly know a damn thing about LockDown Productions (and subsequent research only reveals a website which is apparently offline), but their latest and perhaps only release caught my eye - Again- based on the roster of artists on board, but kept my attention based on something else. "The UK Flue" is a riddim album, featuring a very nice and serene Lover’s Rock/Roots riddim and voicing it are artists such as Maxi Priest, Nereus Joseph, JC Lodge, Omar Perry, Tippa Irie and others. What’s most interesting, at least for me, here is the fact that also present is big Dutchie, Maikal X, with a tune called ‘I’m Leaving’ - bka ‘Lies’ from his recent debut album (which you apparently still can’t get from anywhere outside of Dutchie iTunes) ”Genesis”. Of course, that made me even more interested in this release and . . . Yeah I just might have a deeper listen when it drops.

Potential Rating: 4/5
Releases October 26
Digital

“Hi-Grade Ganja Anthems 3” [Greensleeves Records]



And lastly this week is a pretty big deal courtesy of Greensleeves, as they deliver the third installment of their ”Hi-Grade Ganja Anthems” series. Unlike what usually happens here - A big mix of older and newer artists, this edition focuses, very primarily, on the new artists. So, standing out on his own is Charlie Chaplin, along with names like Ziggi Recado, Bushman, Collie Buddz (yes, that tune is here), Morgan Heritage, Gyptian, Busy Signal, Tarrus Riley (alongside Kartel and Demarco) and even Alborosie. Still, the star of the album is clearly Capleton who besides offering his own ‘Acres’, also pairs up with Slightly Stooped (don’t ask) for what I believe is the album’s first single, ‘No Cocaine’. This one probably will be BIG.

Potential Rating: 4.5/5
Releases on November 2
CD + Digital

In Stores Now
“Kingston Calling” [Jambila]

Unbeknownst to me up until like a half an hour ago, Jambila is a new(er) label from out of the UK who is pushing this very interesting release, ”Kingston Calling”. The release is a bit of a ‘concept album’ as it features a whole heap of Jamaican artists remaking “Great British anthems”. Of course most of these tunes - I’ve never heard of - So they’re pretty much new songs to me and new songs from artists like Lutan Fyah, Chezidek, Bad Gyal Ce’Cile, Spanner Banner, Anthony B & Toots, QQ, Italee and more. I don’t know . . . Like the motivation or anything behind it, but I DEFINITELY appreciate when a new label ‘wakes up’ and does so with a very interesting idea and concept and Jambila’s entry into the game may very well be one of the most interesting I’ve seen in quite some time.

Digital (and maybe CD)

I-Octane - ‘No More’ (single) [DJ Frass]



Yes - It is getting pretty fucking ridiculous waiting for I-Octane to “dash wey” the singles and deliver a full blown album these days, but in the meantime, there’re those singles and DAMN are they beautiful. The latest to reach the digital side is the former hit, ‘No More’ from DJ Frass. The tune is . . . Devastating. It is truly one of the best tunes I’ve heard in 2010 and will probably remain so in a couple of months or so when the year reaches its end.

Digital

Bambú Station - ‘How Things Ah Go’ (single) [Bambú Station/Zojak Worldwide]

I think I was just mentioning the fact that WICKED Virgin Islands Reggae band, Bambú Station, had an album forthcoming, ”Children of Exodus”, sometime later this year and they’re now pushing the very first single from said album, ‘How Things Ah Go’, which is also the name of a tour they’re currently on, apparently. So it all begins here and this is an EXCELLENT way to get things started. You know, I’ve yet to REALLY start getting hype for the album, although I’m well looking forward to it, but I think the first single definitely changed that because listening to this vibes, which is very ‘filling’ to my ears - Covering a wide array of emotions - I’m well eager at this point to hear the rest.

Digital

Shaggy & Hezron - ‘Two Places’ (single) [Digital Link International/Zojak Worldwide]



Dancehall/Reggae superstar Shaggy continues his very solid string of single releases and does so this time with a bit of a blast from the past. His combination, ‘Two Places [At One Time] alongside the sublime Hezron, is actually from a year or two ago and it’s finally managed to make its way to official digital release courtesy of Digital Link International and the wonderful people at Zojak Worldwide. Hezron has a bit of the Midas Touch going and it definitely lends itself to this tune which is still as strong today as when it reached originally. Nice addition.

Digital

Hezron - ‘Take Your Clothes Off’ (single) [40/40]



Speaking of Hezron - While looking to see if ‘Two Places’ had actually been released (and it had which is why it’s down here instead of up top), I curiously managed to bump into ‘Take Your Clothes Off’ which has to be one of the COOLEST damn songs of the year and one of my Wife’s favourites as well. Very romantic and just lovely and I didn’t at all know that it had made it digitally. So well biggup Hezron and LENKY for it yeah.

Digital

The Familiar Rhythm [Kleva Roots Productions/Zojak Worldwide]

I thought that the name ‘Kleva Roots’ seemed somewhat ‘familiar’ and apparently they’ve had their hands in quite a few different productions over the years, but nothing really stands out - At least not until now as they deliver the very strong and just ‘comfortable’ Familiar Riddim (just kind of feels odd typing the word ‘rhythm’ at this point, doesn’t it???). This very lively set has an artist lineup which is highlighted by the likes of Determine, Al Pancho (alongside the WICKED Ilue I think), Teflon and Hero and they’re joined by such up and comers and lesser known artists as Asante Amen (nice tune), Meekie Melody, Judahfari (who may actually run Kleva Roots), Bukka Buk and Viper. You’re probably not going to be too ‘familiar’ with many of the names here, but it’s well time you became acquainted yeah!

CD + Digital

The Lion I Riddim [Cultural Productions]



With a name like ‘Cultural Productions’ you pretty much have absolutely no choice but to make Reggae music and thankfully that is, most interestingly, exactly what the Frenchie label does with its time. I’ve never heard of them, but they’re saying ‘Hello’ via their new release, the Lion I Riddim. The first thing you (like me) will notice about this release is the fact that it includes several members of Sizzla’s Judgment Yard camp such as Simon Splinter, Congo Judah, Bobo David and Adowa. The next thing that I noticed (you almost certainly won’t have the same experience) is that it also includes a tune name ‘Jah Works’ from the wicked Zed-I from out of St. Maarten. AND (as if it needed more) (and it didn’t) also present is the single after single releasing Karli Owli. So, definitely have to say that it’s nice to meet you Cultural Productions and we hope to see you stick around.

CD + Digital

Zorro Chang - “Sa Bon Kalité Sa Baye” [Zorro Chang]



And FINALLY in this big ass post - From since we first heard of the mighty Malkijah, we’ve definitely been on the lookout for more and more talented artists from out of her most remote homeland, Réunion and now you can well add the name Zorro Chang to that lot as he now delivers (I THINK) his debut album which dropped awhile back but is now actually available widely, “Sa Bon Kalité Sa Baye” on his own label. I’m not necessarily BLOWN AWAY by what I hear on this album, but it is impressive in spots and for those of us who’ve been slacking on the Frenchies (myself well included), it’s certainly strong enough to scratch that itch. Like Malkijah with Vegas, Chang also employs a bit of help from Jamaica. In his case it’s combinations with young veterans Nicky B (who was also on Saïk’s album) and Kris Kelly, who well help take things higher in this case.

Digital

No comments:

Post a Comment