Saturday, June 21, 2014

New From Midnite & Iaahden Sounds

As we come to the realization that, essentially, the first half of a year will deliver only a single album from Midnite (albeit a giant one, "Beauty For Ashes") for the first time in… I don't know how long, we are able to take a look at what the second half of the year might bring from Vaughn Benjamin and company via the work 'they' are doing alongside Iaahden Sounds which has recently produced the second and third pieces of a trio of singles ahead of, presumably, a forthcoming project. 'Stand The Test' and 'Upfull Day', respectively, chase 'Ina Culcha' which released in early May-ish. 'Ina Culcha' is a piece which is kind of strange. It features some type of vocal affect and, initially, I didn't like the tune. About ten spins later, however, I started to warm up to it and although I can't call it a favourite of mine, you may get a different answer a few weeks from now. 'Upfull Day', also took a bit of time to grow on me (and I'm still working on that one), but I heard the typically atypical Vaughn Benjamin at the root of the song which is somewhat Jazzy and also quite unusual. 'Stand The Test', on the other hand, required absolutely no such period of incubation and, to my opinion, it is clearly the best of the three and a major reason why I'm looking forward to an album here. 

So if you, like me, found yourself going through some spell of withdrawal from hearing something new from the notoriously ultra-prolific Midnite, check out the three new tunes courtesy of Iaahden Sounds, 'Ina Culcha', 'Upfull Day' and 'Stand The Test', all of which are currently available on digital retailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment