Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Artist of The Month: The Progress Report

As you probably can tell by scrolling and clicking around here and simply looking at the tags, I tend to try to feature artists who don’t necessarily get what I feel is the type of attention or the level of attention that is warranted by their talents. In Reggae music, and in all of the various forms I cover, the word ‘obscure’ tends to take on an even more pronounced meaning, as you’ll find artists who, even should they advance to the absolute best they can be, the vast majority of their potential fans may not ever even hear their names. So, besides the constant reviews, one of the most crucial things I try to do is feature an unknown/up and coming artist each and every month (with the exception of one) in a feature called 'New Artist of The Month' (now retitled as 'Artist of The Month'. If you dig into them you’ll see that my aim is typically global, as I’ve only covered one artist who is Jamaican born (‘The Great’ Naptali) and I’ve covered artists from all over the Caribbean - Montserrat, Martinique, Trinidad, Dominica, Guyana and Aruba. We’ve also touched Europe, Holland in particular (three times including the Dutch Caribbean), but also the UK and Germany. And there’re also three artists here born on the continent of Afrika as well, so we’ve been around the world and back to deliver some of the most underrated and underknown artists with big big talent. Now, after eighteen artists in nineteen months, I thought that I’d give a recap/update to what they’ve all been up to, as far as I know and an update to how well they’ve come along in the process and definitely be sure to check each and every artist on this list because while some haven’t done much since we featured them, I’m still confident that ALL of them are worth listening to and have bright futures should they continue to pursue the music.


#1. Goldee [February 2009]



Where it all began. At the time, it was my eighth post altogether and I was still figuring out exactly how this thing worked (which is why it looked so damn horrible), but what little I remember from actually choosing the bonafide cutie from out of Martinique, Goldee, was because I originally saw her as a kind of Zouk ‘bridge’ to more accessible forms of music. Of course, that’s ridiculous now, in retrospect, because Zouk is, out of the three I primarily cover - Reggae (including Dancehall and everything else), Soca and Zouk - THE most accessible of the three. She made a very very interesting and CATCHY form of the music and at that time she had been one of my rising favourites, definitely. As for what’s become of young Goldee from since then, I’m very happy to say that she is one of a very few artists on this list to release an album after I featured her, ”Le Moi De May”, which was very good. She’s subsequently turned out to be a very big attraction as a Zoukie (and a TRADITIONAL Zouk artist is what she is) and I still find her awfully captivating and am eagerly awaiting what she does next.

Progression: B+

#2. Smiley [March 2009]



Makes me smile. What can I say about Smiley? The Aruba born Netherlands based singer/chanter was originally on my radars for having done the big combination alongside Jamaican veteran, Junior Kelly, ‘Dem A Wonder’. Since then, he’s done nothing but improve and improve and show definitive skills as an artist and one who potentially has the ’legs’ for a very long and impressive career. He also managed to deliver a second HUGE single in the form of ’Distance’, which would also deliver the single best video I saw in all of 2009. The tune, alongside ’Dem A Wonder’ and five others would also appear on Smiley’s very strong EP from earlier this year, ”Lively Road” (named after another big big tune from Rootdown Records) and if I am to take you behind the scenes, I’m going to tell you that Smiley (and his wonderful management) even sent us an autographed copy of said EP, so there you go. We’re still waiting on the full length album, but if you’re not going to give it to us just yet, certainly Smiley has done just about everything imaginable to keep attentions high in the meantime and, again, I absolutely cannot wait to hear what he pulls next [nice website too].

Progression: A

#3. Mischu Laikah [April 2009]



The chosen one. Out of all eighteen names you’re going to read about here, without any conditions applied to it - At the time I wrote about them, I wasn’t higher on ANY of them than I was on Ms. Mischu Laikah. NONE. Since then, however, I have to be honest (well I don’t HAVE TO, but I am) in saying that the fact that she’s yet to deliver the full album, or even a very detailed EP (at least not to my knowledge) may be the biggest single disappointment on this list as well. Seemingly she was so close and even WORKING on the release a year and a half ago and after seeing artists such as Smiley (whose name I first heard after Laikah’s) and Maikal X (whose name I first heard, in any significant context, after Laikah’s) rise to stardom and just have successes in general, one would think Laikah would have taken similar routes by now (I’m just saying - If she wanted to . . . Oh sign with Rock ‘N Vibes, I wouldn’t complain none at all). Apparently she’s been performing and touring Europe quite a bit and that’s certainly valuable experience, but from the most selfish of standpoints . . . Damn I want that album!

Progression: C+

#4. Jah Nyne [May 2009]



The difference. It was just maybe two weeks or so ago that I had been thinking about WICKED Bahamian singer/chanter, Jah Nyne, and how it’d been awhile that I’d heard something new coming from his way. Originally, the artist had well captured my attention based on the significant strength of his seemingly unintentional and incidental RIDICULOUS command of melody in his music. The lyrics are nice, the vibes, in general, are very nice as well, but Nyne just makes his music have this distinguishing FLARE which is definitely going to capture the imaginations and interests of many fans. Well, simply too much time had gone by and it just happened that someone (presumably his manager or his publicist, sent me a couple of new tunes from out of nowhere, the lover’s tune ‘I’ll Treasure You’ and the big Roots anthem ‘Rise’. Previously (a few months back), Nyne had also been active with the Italian label Goldcup Records as well, voicing the label’s big big Mirror Riddim amongst others. In his case, it’s obvious that he’s still building towards his peak, so I will be patient, but should this time next year approach with still no album from Jah Nyne, I shall be most disappointed, but waiting patiently still.

Progression: B

#5. Shelly G [June 2009]



Ooooh Shelly. If you look right over there > at the ‘Labels’ section for this blog, you just might notice that out of any artist on this list, Shelly G is the only one who has more than three tags, showing that she’s been very very popular around here and not only just to me. A year ago, when we featured her, Shelly G was the reigning Soca Monarch in her native Guyana and while she lost her crown this year (although not technically because she did not compete and thus was not defeated by the eventual winner, the very curious Bonesman, who turned CREEPY strip dancer at OECS - I digress), one could definitely make the case that 2010 has been one of the biggest in the entire career of Shelly G. Not only has she released her second album since she first appeared here, ”Work It”, but she’s also done more videos and she’s began to release singles at a seemingly more active pace, well away from the Carnival season. Most importantly (to me of course), it turns out that Shelly G is quite a nice person and is at least somewhat fond of my work and she links me relatively frequently and . . . Yes, she’s beautiful which always helps EVERYTHING. I can’t ask for much in her case because she’s done so well although definitely reclaiming her throne in 2011 would be a nice place to start.

Progression: A

#6. Daniel Bless [July 2009]



X Man. Definitely Trini chanter Daniel Bless is one of the most obscure and, in the absolute sense, NEWEST name on this list, just as he was the day we chose to feature him and his music. Since then, I haven’t heard but a few new tunes from the artist, but as far as I can tell he’s been quite active performing and hopefully a big break is nearing. What initially attracted me to the artist was his COMMITMENT to his words. He didn’t (and still doesn’t) have the most varied or versatile of deliveries and lyrically he wasn’t the most impressive, but what he definitely seemed to have was a very hard working type of appeal to him and while not SCINTILLATING at so many things, he was definitely GOOD at them. I’m not at all surprised that he hasn’t exactly been jumping up and catching attention from all over just yet as he’s probably still a couple of years away from reaching his peak, but as I said originally, he’s definitely a work in progress and - Should he progress according to how I perceive his talents - There’ll aren’t many names on this list with MUCH more of an upside.

Progression: C+

#7. Spyrow [August 2009]



The finished product. I absolutely LOVE to talk about new and/or underexposed artists, like it literally makes me happy to do it and in that regards, for people who read my blog - Reggae fans who’re predominately English speaking people - with the exception of Goldee (because she neither delivers in English nor makes Reggae music), the WICKED Spyrow is probably the single most unknown name on this list. That’s evident by a most remarkable thing I noticed not too long ago, when last vibing his album, ”Jahmo Jahmo” - Spyrow is the real deal my friends. I can sit here and talk about things like ‘seasoning’ or ‘artist development’ but he needs very little, if any, of either. He is absolutely a brilliant artist already. Since featuring here, Spyrow has gone on to release a next EP, ”Blessed”, which featured a big remix of the already MAMMOTH tune, ‘Yéklo Yéhoun’. Apparently Spyrow is quite popular in his native Coté d’Ivoire and he remains quite busy performing and there’s no stress in this instance, whenever he’s ready with a next one, I’ll well be listening (oh and biggup Spyrow for having BY FAR the CUTEST manager like person that I’ve come into contact with thus far) (Hey Mousli!).
Progression: B

#8. Dynamq [September 2009]



Class act. Outside of getting various response from the artists themselves and from managers, labels and the likes, I’d have to say that the first time I did this feature and REALLY received a big reaction was when we tuned in and picked up this syrupy sweet voiced US based, Sudan born singer, Dynamq. I saw the thing being linked on various social networking sites from artist and other labels alike, it also featured on a former site I used to write for (which I had no influence on and just drew from my blog) and I even saw a completely unrelated article written on the ‘Sudanese Child’ which referenced it as well. I was pretty damn proud of that I have to say and I still am, but the main part was that the world had obviously woken up and did what I had failed to do when given the original opportunity (I had his album, ”Sudanese Child” and just . . . Kind of lost it). Since appearing here it’s obvious that Dynamq has enjoyed a rather significant increase in his general STATUS in the music, but he also hasn’t forgotten the studio and he dropped one of my more quiet favourite tunes of last year in ‘Reggae Feeling’ for the Tune In Crew (who also contacted me as well) and most recently he appeared on the big Ska piece from Rootdown Records, the Kokoo Riddim (incidentally, the very same riddim backed the aforementioned Smiley’s aforementioned big tune ‘Lively Road’ as well).

Progression: B+

#9. Malkijah [October 2009]



From a land far far away. Never let it be said that Achis (and yes, I did just call myself Achis) won’t go that extra length to get a good story because in the wonderfulness that is Malkijah I believe that I THOROUGHLY outdid myself. Hailing Réunion, a teeny tiny island (but very popular) off the coast of Madagascar, in the middle of the Indian Ocean, Malkijah had attracted SO MUCH attention in French and French Caribbean Reggae circles that I simply felt the urge to tell you wonderful people about her and it turns out that I picked an excellent time. Not very long at all after being featured here, Malkijah’s HOT and eternally mysterious latest album, ”Eruption” popped up FINALLY and it definitely showed that all of the interest that she was receiving - Working with the likes of Mr. Vegas, Tiwony and Jamadom in the process - was well warranted. Since then, I’ve seen Malkijah’s name pop up here and there on various Dancehall and Hip-Hop compilations (mainly for her label, Hot Game Family), but as the album was already a few months old by time it reached . . . Perhaps 2011 might prove to be a good year for a followup.
Progression: C+

#10. Mr. Williamz [November 2009]



Real general. While 2010 is clearly turning out to be the year of Gappy Ranks in terms of UK Reggae artists, STILL the name Mr. Williamz has to be taken into consideration for big names for the future and it’s because of his work to the past. Williamz has developed this RIDICULOUSLY healthy old school style for the new age of Reggae and Dancehall and, in the process along with people such as Gappy Ranks, he’s built up the next generation of UK artists after what seemed to be a very long time of stagnation for the region, at least from the outside looking in. He does still figure to be a year or two away from the start of his prime years of efficacy which is a devastating though because already he’s clearly one of the most talented younger artists, regardless of origins. Since being featured, Williamz has apparently focused most on touring and such things, but he did manage to score on Roots Survival’s Protection Riddim earlier this year. If not 2011, then most certainly 2012 will be the year which HOPEFULLY sees Mr. Williamz doing his greatest damage (maybe even returning to Jamaica, where he grew up) and I cannot wait.

Progression: B

#11. Jah Marnyah [December 2009]



The heights. I was damn near THRILLED to see the feature on Jah Marnyah receive SO MUCH reaction in so many different ways. Besides on the actual post with the comments, there were many emails (including a couple from two of my regular readers I believe) and we even saw the post pop up on some old media site from out of Marnyah’s native Montserrat (biggup Arrow). Hopefully it can help to some degree as he seems to be an artist only lacking in the area of ATTENTION and status, once that gets higher, for someone as TERRESTRIALLY talented as he (meaning that his style isn’t something too far out of the ordinary) I’d expect Jah Marnyah to, very frequently, begin appearing on riddims from all the big European labels (including, hopefully, Necessary Mayhem). And he’s already begun - Jah Marnyah appears twice on French label Akom Records’ HUGE Vitamin & Highlight Riddim release earlier this year and he’s also worked with another strong French label, A La Folie as well. I was hoping that 2010 might give us an album, but it’s looking unlikely in the final quarter of the year and perhaps that’s for the best because with another year of seasoning (even though he clearly doesn’t need it) 2011 might see Jah Marnyah as an ‘album of the year’ candidate.

Progression: B

#12. Naptali [January 2010]



Your time is now. Throughout this post (like I just did), I’ve been saying things like ‘next year should ba e big one for this artist’ and things like such, but I can’t really say things like that in this case, can I? Why not? Well, first of all it’s wrong, I’m not at all expecting to hear very much from Naptali in 2011 and second of all . . . I just don’t care. The Clarendon native has done enough in 2010 to pretty much secure his place for the next two or three years in my mind because as of the final third of September, he still is the mastermind of the best album I’ve heard this year so far, the MASSIVE ”Long Journey”. The album generated such a VERY nice feeling in my mind that it facilitated Naptali’s being chosen (giving me an early opportunity to do some research anyway) and there was quite a bit of response to it as well, including a feature on Naptali’s website. Since then it’s also garnered other nice words and reviews from the masses and not only that, but it also led us to another remarkable young artist who I’ll tell you about just a little later.

Progression: A+

#13. Buffy [February 2010]



Anything ah anything. The concern with telling someone about a big new Soca artist after Carnival is that 100% of the time that new artist won’t have an album (and won’t have one five years from now either) and because they’re new and unproven, you run the risk of having them basically go unheard from for the next ten months or so, with the nature of the music itself. Thankfully, there’re exceptions in some of those instances and I give you such an exception, Ms. BUFFY! Buffy’s big tune, ’Anything’ was so fucking huge and had so much in the way of appeal that almost IMMEDIATELY after writing her feature I saw that, most thankfully, she would definitely be finding a way to stay relevant and active before the next Carnival season in her native Trinidad began. She, apparently, fancies herself somewhat of a Dancehall artist in a Soca market and, as far as releasing singles, she’s definitely taken the ‘year-round’ approach of Dancehall artists in releasing her singles and she continues to do so (with her most recent piece being ‘Tell Me That You Love Me’). She’s also scored a big tune, ‘Boom Boom’ alongside Jamaican Dancehall diva Macka Diamond and a whole heap of other big singles as well (such as the curious ‘Wine Gyal’ and ‘Dirty Wine’ over the Faxx Machine Riddim), pushing her name even further up the ranks. Of course the real test will come next year in seeing if she can maintain the ‘Anything’ born hype . . . But I don’t think there’s any way in hell that she’s going to lost it at this point.

Progression: A

#14. Sara Lugo [March 2010]



Funky Comfort. What you’re going to see here is the artist on this list who, EASILY, has been the most discussed on this blog and I definitely plan on keeping it as such as long as she continues on her way. Sara Lugo is the “another remarkable young artist” I alluded to in discussing Naptali and each and every day I find something new to like about her music. She’s probably also the youngest person on this list (with the possible exception of Buffy) and her style is one which LEAPS well beyond her years as she makes this very very COOL and methodical type of Jazzy Reggae music which absolutely works for me. Apparently she’s still hard at work on her debut album with producer Umberto Echo, but she has been making WONDERFUL releases in the meantime and doing so for a variety of producers. Since we featured her, Sara Lugo has appeared on tunes with Jamaram (who she tours with as well), Ephraim Juda (big tune, ‘Too Fast’), she’s also released the WICKED Part of My Life on Frenchie label, Greenyard Records’ Design Riddim and most recently she surprisingly joined Swiss based Gwada chanter, Cali P, on the flaming ‘Wine Now’ for Hemp Higher’s Scrub-A-Dub Riddim. So, maybe in the early stages of 2011 when you’re listening to Sara Lugo’s HUGE debut album and it’s just destroying you, you’ll remember who told you first because just as I felt back then, what we have here is a potentially SPECIAL talent.

Progression: A

#15. Kalash [April 2010]



Flames. Apparently I’ve been underselling the talents and the perception of young Kalash, the wicked new rock voiced Dancehall DJ from out of Madinina. To me, he was definitely a very strong talent, but one requiring a bit of seasoning and refinement to take his RUGGED style to the proverbial ‘next level’. Well, pretty much everything I’ve read about him from since (and granted there was nothing that stood out in particular and neither did the amount of it) has pretty much crowned the man as a great artist already and . . . Well, I don’t have much of a problem with that and I definitely like people appreciating the vibes. As for me, however, since his self titled album dropped, I’ve given more and more attention to Kalash and while we haven’t heard much in the way of new material (to be expected), I’m REALLY looking forward to hearing him a couple of years on because when we look at French Caribbean Reggae and Dancehall, most of the bigger names, like Tiwony, Admiral T, Krys, Lady Sweety, Saïk etc. come from out Gwada and should Kalash keep progressing, he should definitely be joining that elite group (but hell, according to a lot of people he’s already there, so what do I know).

Progression: B

#16. Aima Moses [May 2010]



Rise. Obviously, because I just talked about them not too long ago, I’ll be brief with these final few names (because not much has changed). In the case of Dominica born Aima Moses I just want to reiterate the niceness that he does have a tune available digitally, which is ‘All The Same’, big tune you can pick up now. And I’ve also noticed my feature on him referenced, indirectly, in a couple of places as well, which is pretty nice, so biggup Aima Moses.

Progression: N/A

#17. Mr. Royal [June 2010]



Who??? Okay, not too long after I’d written the feature on ROYAL DAINTIES, I got a link from a label who had voiced them on a recent project (biggup Jahlight) and they informed that, in fact, Royal Dainties had undergone a name change and was now voicing and performing as MR. ROYAL. I like the name change, as an artist who has been around for quite some time now, perhaps the name change will energize not only himself but producers who SHOULD be calling him up to voice their riddims, so hopefully that’s exactly what will happen and 2011 will be a big year for Trini chanter Mr. Royal.

Progression: N/A

#18. Lady K-Wida [August 2010]



Princess Gone. And finally is the third (I THINK) Dutchie on this list, the blistering Lady K-Wida. I’m all but certain that K-Wida has, in fact, retired from making music and from a selfish point of view, it’s sad to see so much musical talent go to waste (if it is true) and maybe she’ll come back someday. But if she’s gone for real, then we definitely wish her good luck in whatever she’s up to and wherever she’s doing it.

Progression: N/A

5 comments:

  1. Hey, the cable Reggae radio station played this catchy as a cold tune by Spice. I stuck it in short term memory and by the time I warmed up the computing machine-logged on-and got ready to goggle the tune-it slipped away. I figured Ernie B's might carry the 45 but no such luck. Their site search drew a blank. No Spice singles listed. I believe the tune's title begins with the letter D. Maybe ya know it? Bonehead Braindead

    ReplyDelete
  2. If by "Spice", you mean Richie Spice then . . . Yeah. I probably couldn't tell you.

    But if you mean SPICE - As in Lady Spice, then that's probably easier. It could've been 'Dun Out', could've been that really old tune 'Dun Dem'. If it was absolutely ridiculous, then it could've been 'Daggering'. I think out of all of those that was the most recent one yeah.

    Youtube shall have the answer, certainly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man you made that look easy. Yep, the tune is Daggering by Lady Spice. Scary that in the space of three or four minutes that my memory drew up a blank on Spice's Lady forename and completely deleted the tunes title! Only Lady Spice I could find on You-Tube was for adult eyes only. Hey, I am juss saying...Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. She never too much called "Lady Spice" anymore, but I still use it for distinguishing her. Because still so much times someone talk about a "Spice tune" it's really Richie they mean yeah

    ReplyDelete
  5. please dont say lady k-wida has stopped making music.what a waste of talent.

    ReplyDelete